August 2009 Newsletter
Uploading Files Through the Secure File Exchange in the A/R Services Portal
Did you know that Quadax provides clients with a safe, secure method to electronically transfer files? The Secure File Exchange (SFE), located in the Quadax A/R Services Portal, is the safest way to transfer files that contain Protected Health Information (PHI) to and from your Quadax account representative. HIPAA security standards require encryption for the electronic exchange of PHI, and normal e-mail does not meet the standards. Quadax policy requires that employees transmit files containing PHI or other sensitive data by a secure method, and we strongly recommend that clients do the same. Our Secure File Exchange has several features that were created with data security in mind.
Features of the Secure File Exchange
- Access is controlled using an invitation-only method. Users must be invited to upload files, either through an invitation on the main Portal page or through an e-mail request.
- After the upload has been completed successfully, recipients are notified via e-mail that a file is ready to download.
- Files are transmitted safely using the highest encryption available on your Internet browser, minimally 128 bits, in order to maintain patient privacy.
How to upload files using the Secure File Exchange
Uploading files is by invitation only. If you need to initiate an upload, ask your Quadax account representative to issue an invitation to you. Once an invitation is issued, registered Portal users will see an Upload link in the Secure File Exchange area of the Portal.
- On the Portal page, click the Upload link. This link will appear on your Portal page if you have been invited to upload a file.
- The Secure File Upload page opens. In the Local File Name field, click Browse to select the file from your PC or network drive that you wish to upload. The file type extension can be txt, xls, jpeg, jpg, gif, zip, doc, pdf, or dat. If you enter the wrong file location, click Reset to clear the field. Note: The file size should be no larger than 5Mb. If it is larger, compress the file and then select the compressed (zipped) file for upload. Extremely large files (over 500 Mb) should be sent on CD or DVD.
- Click Upload to complete the process. A confirmation message appears if the upload was successful. Your account representative will be notified via e-mail that the file has been uploaded.
Occasionally business associates or other entities who are not registered in the Portal need to send sensitive files to Quadax by a secure method. A limited version of the Secure File Exchange is available for this purpose by invitation only. When a file upload invitation is issued, non-Portal users receive an e-mail request with a link to a limited Secure File Exchange login page. For security purposes, the login password is only given over the phone. The upload process is the same as the Portal process described above.
Contact your Quadax account representative for more information or to request a file upload invitation.