UnitedHealthcare (UHC) is making process changes to their Genetic and Molecular Lab Testing Program, effective June 1, 2021. These changes will impact the process for requesting prior authorization and registering lab tests. UHC stated that more details and training webinars will be provided before June 1, 2021.
Please note the following:
Changes to the prior authorization process
- Starting June 1, 2021, UnitedHealthcare will begin managing prior authorizations for genetic and molecular tests, instead of Beacon Laboratory Benefit Solutions, Inc.
- When this change goes into effect, ordering providers will use our Prior Authorization and Notification (PAAN) self-service tool to request prior authorization, or call 877-303-7736.
Changes to the lab test registration process
- Starting June 1, 2021, our Genetic and Molecular Lab Testing Program will use the UnitedHealthcare Laboratory Test Registry and discontinue use of the Beacon lab test registry.
- When this change goes into effect on June 1, labs will register genetic and molecular tests in the UnitedHealthcare registry, instead of the Beacon registry.
- We’re currently transferring genetic and molecular lab test information from the Beacon registry into the UnitedHealthcare registry.
- We ask that each laboratory review and confirm the accuracy of genetic and molecular lab tests in the UnitedHealthcare registry before June 1, 2021.
- Visit our laboratory test registry page for more information about lab test registration, including:
- As a courtesy, UnitedHealthcare is transferring genetic and molecular lab test information that is currently entered in the Beacon LBS Test Registry into the UnitedHealthcare Laboratory Test Registry. Confirm your genetic and molecular lab tests in the UnitedHealthcare registry before June 1, 2021.
For more information please visit Genetic and molecular lab testing program changes – Frequently asked questions – UnitedHealthcare.